Instapaper in EU under GDPR so I have changed this now to Pocket RSS
I had previously been working on the assumption I could use wordpress plugins and ifttt to setup an rss digest to wordpress post and just include the links in the post so I had a list of daily links I had looked at to keep as an archive. A bit like saving favourites to wordpress.
This idea came from Richard Hay, as he originally has this running with wordpress.org plugin (RSS Digest) but I had a wordpress.com blog account so I couldn’t do the same
Like Richard I also miss the Google RSS Reader and started using Feedly etc but you cant grab the RSS feed so I started to use Instapaper. You can download your RSS Feed and grab the URL (you will need to do this in a later step)
I used Delicious a lot before it got shutdown to save favorite links, and use to import them from each browser.
Hence the need ..
Luckily with your personal Microsoft account (https://account.microsoft.com/account) in Microsoft Flow (flow.microsoft.com) you can now add WordPress (wordpress.com) as a connector!
Steps I used to create the RSS Digest to WordPress is as follows:
- Sign into Microsoft Flow with your Personal Microsoft account
- Go to Templates and type “RSS Digest” in the Search bar , Select Continue
- If you do use instapaper/pocket or another read it later that has rss feed – go grab the rss feed URL now and copy and paste it into the “List all RSS Items” box (see below in resources for instructions)
- Scroll down until you get to the Compose and edit it. delete everything except the primary link and title part
- under send an email, add an action and type in wordpress (you need to link your wordpress.com account)
- click on the email part and copy the Join expression
- Copy the Join to the content in the wordpress create post section
- Set the Title to what you want it to be “Daily Links” and the date expression (for current day) and change the timezone to your zone
- Change status to “Draft” (change to publish after you have a working flow)
Resources for this post
convertTimeZone(utcnow(),’UTC’,’W. Europe Standard Time’,’dd/MM/yyyy’)
Nextgen Reader (https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRFJ262)
You can setup Nextgen Reader with instapaper and pocket.
Pocket on Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ideashower.readitlater.pro)
Pocket for Edge Extension (https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH4VLRR)
How to get your Instapaper Feed URL
- Login to your instapaper account
2. Click on the down arrow beside username
3. Click on download
4. Click on RSS Feed
- Copy the URL displayed
How to get your pocket Feed URL
Login to Pocket and go to settings, and choose edit username and copy and paste where it says USERNAME below